Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Get. A. Life

'All by myself....don't wanna be...all by myself...anymore, anymore, anyyyyymooooorrrrre,' I am screeching Bridget Jones style.
So for eight years I have been desperately seeking 'Me' time.
Ever since baby number one was born, I have moaned incessantly about never having a minute to myself, never being able to go to the loo without someone walking in, bath without a child wiping my boob with a Buzz Lightyear flannel, eating a sandwich without a small finger reaching up to steal a crisp.
Well, it turns out I don't actually want 'Me' time at all.
Funny that.
Or not.
Initially, it was great, a novelty. I could come home from the school run and have a long soak in the bath without anyone interrupting, I could go shopping without having to buy an 'Animals and Me' magazine or Moshi Monsters cards, I could talk on the phone to a friend for an hour without shouting at any kids in the background or passing them the phone for them to say, 'hello'.
Like anything, (think Beyonce's baby news or Lauren and Mark from TOWIE), the novelty soon wears off.
I am lonely for the first time in 8 years. I have no bums to wipe, no one asking where I am every three minutes, no demands for drinks or food. I don't know what to do with myself. Well, actually, I do. I need to get. A. Job. or finish. The. Book. (sshhhh don't mention that. 30,000 words and not touched for months) or even Walk. The. Dog. Yes, yes, hairy mutt, but that only takes 45 minutes.
It's so quiet.
I miss them so much.
I am googling illnesses I may or may not have.
It's time.
It's time for me to Get. A. Life....

9 comments:

Mud said...

Oooh - The Book. Now that is one I want you to focus on and finish. Because I want to read it!

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Aaah Mud. You are so lovely. I was just slumped over resting my head in my hands huffing and puffing. And you have made me smile. So thank you xxx

Josie said...

Please write the book. Pretty please.

nappy valley girl said...

Definitely write the book. I did the job thing instead, and now don't have any time to write...

If I Could Escape said...

Yes, for some unknown reason, I much prefer the loud, stinky, fighting noises of my boys to the quiet. I am slowly learning to do better myself though when they go off to their dad's.

Writeonmum said...

I know exactly how you feel about feeling "All by myseeeelllllf" because now my kids are all big and there's no bum wiping (though there is sick wiping due to the teens learning to drink - I want them to be little again and to neeeeeed meeee! Get stuck into your book! Good luck.

Expat mum said...

Don't worry, the quiet will grow on you. I can sit all day with no background noise at all. Love it. Sometimes I turn on the radio or the TV just to pretend I'm normal.

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Josie - I'm working on it - not very hard though. Must crack on!! Thanks for coming over to comment lovely xx
NVG - yes, I must get on with it, as I will be job searching very soon and will regret I let this time pass...
If I Could Escape - Thanks for coming over and commenting. You must miss them when they are at their dads, even though they are stinky.
Write On Mum - Thanks so much for visiting and commenting. I miss them being babies already, so can't imagine what it must be like when they are teens!!! Aaargh. If only the husband would let me have a third!!
Expat Mum - Who wants to be normal ;) xx Thanks for coming over and commenting xx

Anonymous said...

Ooohh i have a 3 years old daughter and I already get scared just to think that one day she will grow and I will be all by myself... Any tips what I should do right now to avoid that happening ?? Pls help!!