Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Bunny Teeth

Picking my seven year old up from school, I am reminded once again of the heartache that lie ahead.
'I was called bunny teeth three times today,' she says, not upset, more in a stating a fact kind of way.
Poor girl. She has her mother's teeth. I used to get called Monster Munch teeth, they were so big. But then I got a brace, glasses (and not cool ones, Deidre Barlow/Christopher Biggins style), and skinnier legs, so the teeth teasing was replaced by boys running up to me to put their hands around my ankles whilst running off and calling me Bony Joanie (a character from Garbage Pail Kids, all the rage in 1987, see above. That was me aged 12).
Luckily the 7 year-old thinks that bunnies and rabbits are very cute, so almost takes it as a compliment that she's being told she looks like a rabbit. She's also at the age where she does seem to be able to shrug it all off. The hormones haven't kicked in yet, or the seeking of approval from the opposite sex. In fact right now, boys are deemed rubbish. And not just by me.
Having a brace is at least three years away, so for the next three years she is just going to have to put up with being a bunny. It comes in quite handy around Easter.
And for now, at least, she still believes she's beautiful. She hasn't had that confidence knocked out of her...yet. How sad that you know it'll come. The self doubt, the feelings of ugliness that the teenage years bring are just around the corner. The 'why aren't my boobs as big as Jane Bookers?' years of torment in your room stuffing tissues down your bra. The overwhelming feeling of just wanting to be average, 'normal', not too fat, not too skinny, not too big boobs, not concave chest (yep, you guessed it, that was also what I was called) that takes up pages of your diary, along with a yearning for Gary Bell to notice you...
I keep telling her that all these boys who call her rabbit teeth will be beating her door down for a date in years to come.
She pulls a face. 'Urgh. I told you, I don't like boys.' Quite.
It pulls at the heart strings though, to know your child's being teased. I've just spent the last hour searching for large balls of cotton wool to wrap her up in. Unfortunately, Amazon are out of stock.


NB. I know boys aren't rubbish really, I'm married to a perfectly adequate one, have one as a dog and an older brother...



10 comments:

Elsie Button said...

Ooooh i so hear you - i feel the same :( x

nappy valley girl said...

Oh poor little thing - gosh there is no way I'd go back to being a schoolgirl, they are so mean. That is one reason I am glad I have boys, there just isn't that level of name-calling.

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Elsie B - you have two girls too, there isn't a film called Mean Girls for nothing!

NVG - I know, I would never go back either...horrendous. Mind you some of the mums are almost as bad, I'm finding....

Natasha said...

Poor thing, hopefully she'll grow up to be one of those kids who takes it all in their stride, kids can be so mean!

HonestMum said...

Nothing crueller than kids! I had puppy fat and a monobrow for far too long. Blast from the past with the Garbage Patch Kid card, I used to avidly collect those freakish things!

xxx Hannah xxx said...

Bless her, I know that feeling about searching for cotton wool! Fab blog, really enjoyed looking around, thank you for sharing a little bit of your life with us all x

Toysie said...

Damn....Poor little thing

About Last Weekend said...

When I went first to the orthodontist he said my teeth were so buck there must have been mismating (my mother's small chin and father big teeth) A great start in life being low in Darwin order...

Baby Shower Favours said...

oh thats poor

Metropolitan Mum said...

Gnnnaaaaashhhh. I am dreading those years to come. Little L is really tall for her age. Brilliant when you are 21, not so much when you are 12. Cotton wool, gimme cotton woooool!!!